Monday, August 13, 2012

Mechanics on Monday: Infusing Your Book With Emotion...by Victoria James

I remember one of the very first articles I read about writing craft was about making your characters bleed.  Making them hurt.  Sometimes this can bring you pain as well-or make you uncomfortable.  And I think I truly 'became' a writer when I squirmed in my seat before writing a few scenes that a few years ago I wouldn't have been able to write.  It was scary to dig deep and truly inflict real pain.  But I also think that's part of the reason that book resonated with my agent and editor (let's hope readers too!).

In the third book I sold to Entangled, Indulgence coming out sometime 2013, my heroine has faced some pretty hard self-image/esteem issues.  Growing up in our society, I think this is something that any woman could identify with on some level.  I started that book with a general idea of her pain and issues.  And then as I became wrapped up in the characters, certain pieces of her past became clearer to me.  And I squirmed.  I thought, can I really do that to her?  Could I actually humiliate her that much-and then have her tell the hero?  I really didn't want to.  I thought maybe we could just slip it past him, and no one would be the wiser.  And that's when I knew-I would be leaving out key pieces of her past and her personality.  The essence of who she was and how she became the grown woman she was in the book.  The reader wouldn't root for her as much, without that knowledge.  So, I did it.  I wrote the mortifying scene and I had her tell the hero.  And I winced as I wrote it-I had to look at it with one eye open.  And I hope that means that the reader will also feel the emotion as they read that scene.

I had also made things pretty bad for the hero in that book.  I gave him a past that no one in his family knew about.  One that he was ashamed of-and one that kept him away from believing he and the heroine could ever be together.  When I finally had him confess everything to the heroine, I was again, fighting tears and feeling really sorry for him (I may have reached for a glass of wine as well).  And I was quick to end that scene, because it was too difficult to deal with.  I went in and out as quickly as I could.  When I spoke with my agent, she mentioned that scene and that she found it was very powerful.  It was on my final edit of that book, before it was pitched to my editor, that I expanded on that scene.  I knew I had to do it.  I knew I had been a wimp in not carrying that scene further.  So I added in the thoughts and images I had of my hero as a young boy, and put them into words, onto the page.  And yeah, it was difficult.  But I think it's much stronger now.

What I'm hoping is that all of this translates into a book that's packed with high-stakes, intense emotion and true-to-life characters. 

Here are some of the things I've learned along the way to ensure that I've injected enough emotion and 'pain' into my characters:

1) Have I gone too far?  I think this sometimes-and I'm always wrong.  No, I haven't gone too far-I'm a wimp!  Which means I should be going kilometres passed what I deem 'too' far.  Push the limits, stretch your boundaries.

2) Do I get uncomfortable when I'm reading or writing an important scene?  I think for me this is pivotal.   If I'm not biting my lip, reaching for wine, or thinking up excuses as to why I should stop writing for the day, then I know I haven't infused that scene with enough emotion.  You shouldn't be able to read/write a very dark moment for your character without feeling something yourself.

3)  Do you feel 'sorry' for your hero/heroine?  Okay, now I know that sounds a little wacky, but seriously, if at some point during the writing of that book, you don't feel bad for all the 'mean' things you caused that poor person, you haven't done your job.  I'm not saying you have to torture them, or that all characters need to come from truly horrible backgrounds-not at all-but at some point they have to hurt.  And you have to make them hurt.

Hopefully, some of this helps you along the way.  I'm amazed by how much I learn every day, with every new scene, with every new book.  It's an endless journey, but one that I'm so thrilled to be on. 

What about you?  Do you struggle with injecting emotion onto the page for your characters?  Does it come easily for you-or are you a tad on the wimpy side, like me? ;-)


14 comments:

  1. This is an awesome post! I have to put my hand up and say that I actually love torturing my characters. I'm horrible and mean, I know, but if I haven't made myself cry during the black moment, or if haven't choked up when I consider my charcters backstory, then I haven't done a good enough job. I think a good rule of thumb is that if you're scared to write it, if it's going to cause you pain, then you HAVE to write it. I've had a couple of 'no way, I can't do that' moments but it's those 'don't go there' moments that become pivotal and make the book. Just my take on it anyway. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jackie, thanks for stopping by! Glad you liked the post. I think it's so funny that you like torturing your characters-this is something I need to work harder at, LOL. I may contact you for torture tips ;-) But yeah, I agree, if you are scared to write it-it's a good indication you HAVE to write it. Thanks, Jackie!

      Delete
  2. I struggle with this a lot. Because 1) I write romantic suspense, and 2) I think too much, I tend to worry about how much 'darkness' a story can take--the characters are already in fear for their lives...is it really appropriate to dredge up all of the pain they still carry from childhood??? But this is crazy talk. Of COURSE it's appropriate, and it's what the story demands, because romance is about unconditional love, healing and hope, and our characters can't have those things until they confront the pain. I tell them (and myself) that I will make it up to them in the HEA.

    Thanks so much for a fantastic post. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Natalie! Yes, I could so see how that would be a struggle given the external conflict you face with RS. And so eloquently put-romance being about unconditional love, healing and hope. Well said! :-)

      Delete
  3. I know exactly which scene of which book you are talking about, Victoria, and I can tell you: you did not go too far. It was brilliant. I often feel the way when it comes to a character who has a lot at stake emotionally, or who has a particularly dark past that must be brought to light. I asked myself this same question in my last WIP. But what you said is true: the characters who make us as writers squirm are the ones who are the most memorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Olivia-thanks, I'm happy you thought so! Glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks squirming is a good sign, LOL ;-)

      Delete
  4. Victoria, you are so right. It takes a lot to write those big emotional scenes. And boy is it exhausting. LOL. I find myself writing it in stages. The first is setting the scene. Then I go back and layer in the gut-wrenching emotion. Usually not in one sitting. When the emotions get so strong, so sad, so painful I have to walk away and come back. I worry about going to far too, but I've never been told I've gone too deep yet. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jennifer-exhausting is SO right!!! I find I usually write those scenes fast, turning my internal editor off and just getting it all out. Then I go back and refine. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm very much of the 'torture them' variety. Or at least torture one of them. Sometimes though, writing my 'torture' scenes is so painful for me that by the time my characters have worked through it all it feels as if I have earned their Happy Ever After as well as them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle! Hmmm, you looked so nice I had no idea you liked to torture your poor characters ;-) I agree though, once you inflict so much pain, the least you can do is give them a happy ending!

      Delete
  7. Thank you for this great post. I just saw the link on Twitter. I struggle with this constantly because it's often difficult for me to pinpoint the raw inner hurt that I need to poke with a hot needle. I'm not sure if it's a lack of quality character building skills on my part or maybe it's an inner need to hold back that needle and just give them a nudge.

    Thanks again for the post. :)

    Cheryl Gorman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl, thanks so much for stopping by! And I must say I'm so thrilled you found my post so useful-that totally made my day :-) I totally understand the confusion over what that main source of your character's pain is...I know for me at least, the difficulty is more in turning off my sensors and just letting it all out. I know the source of the pain-it's finding the courage in actually exposing it. Hope that helps and good luck to you!

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cracking post, Victoria. :-) The more emotion, the better for me. The more I sit back in my writing seat and question whether I can really do 'that' to a character, the more fulfilling I find the scene becomes. I remember in NV 2011 being told by a reader that my hero had overstepped the mark. I'd clearly made her feel uncomfortable but that was the feeling I was trying to create. There was a time when I would have been mortified, instead I decided it was a job was well done. It's hard torturing our characters, but it's essential to step out of our comfort zones and get it on the page. If we don't react, how can we expect our readers to?
    P.S. Deleted comment because of a typo. Duh.

    ReplyDelete