Monday, February 18, 2013

Mechanics on Monday: And they (probably) lived happily ever after, by Tina Vaughn

My job as a writer is to fulfill readers' expectations. In romance, this means at the end of the day–or in this case, the end of the book–I must provide an emotionally-satisfying and believable happy ending. Sounds simple, right?

Um. Not so much. For me, the ending is one of the hardest scenes to write. And if you're searching for advice on how to write the perfect ending, well…good luck. While there are tons of articles and books offering tips and step-by-step guidelines for the perfect opening, advice for endings is obscure. Why? Is it because we already know how a romance is going to end? Is it because endings are so subjective, depending entirely on our characters' and stories' unique conflicts and resolutions? Is it because the ending is easy to write, and I'm one of the few poor souls who just doesn't get it?

In preparation for this post, I re-read romances that feature some of my favorite endings. I also re-read a few that, in all honesty, just didn't work for me. I also read the endings to my own novels. As a reader and writer, what do I want, expect and need in an ending for me to consider it emotionally satisfying? Reading endings with a critical eye allowed me to come up with a simple five-element list for crafting fabulous and believable endings.

Dialogue

I like my endings dialogue-heavy. No summaries. No sweeping expositions. No long internal monologues featuring self-analysis, please. This is my last chance to “hear” these characters' voices. While saying I love you is key, it's not the only thing that needs to be said.

Setting

Setting showcases your characters' strengths and weaknesses. And just because we've reached the ending of a novel doesn't mean we can ignore it. In all likelihood, the setting has added depth and dimension to your characters throughout the novel. Why stop now?

Characterization

Loves makes people do strange and crazy things, I know. But in novels, stranger and crazier isn't always better. Be sure that any romantic gestures are in keeping with the characters' personalities, otherwise the ending becomes overly-dramatic, unbelievable and might induce an eye-roll.

Pacing

Since we're wrapping up the book, the ending should wind us down, not wind us up. Didn't we get all excited during the climax? Now's the time to slow things down a little. Use sentence structure, punctuation, word choices, etc., that slow your pacing and prepare the reader for The End.

Physical intimacy

For me, a convincing happy ending must include a nod to both emotional and physical intimacy. I need to know that the characters are connected on both levels. Our characters confessed their love. Awww. Will they seal it with a kiss…or something more? While physical intimacy doesn't have to be explicit, I think it should be implied, and absolutely should be appropriate to the heat level of your book.


You've just written–or read–a unique and beautiful story, doesn't it deserve an equally original ending?


As a reader, what do you look for in a happy ending?

As a writer, what are your tricks for crafting a perfect ending for your characters?

21 comments:

  1. Brilliant post, Tina. So useful. More please! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Lindsay! What would you like to read next? I'm taking requests. ;)

      Delete
    2. With such a terrific post on endings, do one on beginnings too. ;-)

      Delete
    3. haha! I'll put it on my to-do list. ;)

      Delete
  2. Great post, Tina!
    I try to think of a movie-style ending. Nothing too over the top, but usually something a little different that brings the characters together in a fun way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennifer! :)
      I do that too. I always think, how would this look on The Big Screen? haha!

      Delete
  3. Great post! I like endings that aren't rushed, but rather keep the characters on edge until the bitter end when they finally earn their HEA. After all, love never comes easily. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jen! :)
      You're exactly right. Rushed endings are so disappointing. The endings should reflect the entire tone and theme of the book.

      Delete
  4. Fabulous post, Tina. I think characterization is the key for me as a reader. I've read endings that fell flat because they didn't stay true to the characters. Marriage proposals that seem unnatural make me squirm--I want to believe the HEA is real for these two individuals! I also squirm with the "sudden" HEA, like the author ran up against the word limit and threw in a HEA. I like to see traces of the HEA before the last chapter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Natalie. :)
      You're so right. An ending that works for one book won't necessarily work for another...mainly because it's just not right for the individual characters and might not be in keeping with the personalities and traits the writer has created for them. Like you, I also like a good lead-up to the HEA. There's nothing worse than turning the page and realizing that the book just ended.

      Delete
  5. Great post, Tina! I like a little drama, like Jennifer S mentioned, a movie-style ending. I also love epilogues b/c it gives me a little more time to see the couple together-when they are happy and settled.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Hi Sasha!
      Thanks so much for reading and for hanging out with us today.

      Delete
  7. Great post, Tina! I find endings to be the most challenging part of a book to write. Even if I know how it will end, and I usually do, it's making sure the ending comes across as believable and well-timed that gives me pause. There's a level of pressure to do your characters justice before they fade off into the sunset. I think the most important aspect is staying true to character, as you mentioned above. All the issues have to be resolved in a natural way, consistent with the characters' interactions and behaviors and motives leading up to that moment, for me to feel satisfied. I am also a fan of epilogues. I like to see the couple a few months later and know they are still going strong:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pressure!
      That's it exactly. :)
      Thanks so much, Olivia.

      Delete
  8. Thank you so much!
    Hey...I recognize you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved this, Tina! Endings are the hardest part for me to write, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Robin!
      Forget the "sagging middle." Openings and endings kill me. ;)

      Delete
  10. Endings are hard for me, too! I think it's the knowledge that once you finish it, other people are going to read it and tell you what's wrong with it. :-)

    Great post!
    Joanna

    ReplyDelete