Monday, July 22, 2013

A Little Bit Happy

by Ami Weaver


So as I was trying to decide what to post for today, I started thinking about things that make me happy. Not just raindrops on roses or whiskers on kittens (though those qualify!) but writing-related things that make my writerly little heart go pitter-patter.

1. Pens and notebooks. I am an office supply slut. Yes, yes I am. I heart all things office supply and I stockpile them not unlike a squirrel with nuts. I am picky about my paper and I usually only use fine point pens. (The reason for that? My handwriting looks like I gave the above-mentioned squirrel a pen and told him to have at it.) So back-to-school time is a double happy whammy for me--the kids go back and I can buy more pens and notebooks than one person can reasonably expect to use.

2. My iPhone. This one makes the list because it has my music on it.  (And, ahem, Twitter.) I usually put it on shuffle, or I have some playlists generated by the Genius thing that I use, too. Or sometimes, it's just one song I put on repeat. Interestingly, at the coffee shop where I go write, it's not the other people that throw me off track. It's the occasional weird song. So, iPhone and headphones.

3. My favorite table at the coffee shop. Oh, do I get territorial when I walk in and my table is taken! I like THAT ONE because I can see outside and if I stare off into space (which NEVER happens) there are no awkward moments where the person between me and the window thinks I'm staring at them. I have a backup table that's okay, if a little cramped. Of course, I can write at any old table. But it doesn't make me as happy.

4. The days my muse shows up. Now, I don't sit around and wait for the muse, because otherwise I'd never get anything done. But there are days when she shows up and everything just flows out, like my keyboard is connected to my brain. (Those are also the days where my writing needs the least amount of editing, too.) Those days are magic, but relatively rare--so I don't wait for them, but savor them when they hit.

5. When a favorite author has a new release. Yep, this counts as a writing happy. Because not only do I get the enjoy a fantastic story, I get to immerse myself in all things craft--world building, characterization, plot, the arcs, etc. So this is a complete win-win. And therefore, makes me very happy.


As a writer, what of kinds of things make you happy?

9 comments:

  1. Writing happiness... finding the perfect model who looks just as I imagined my character would be (to pass on to the art department for cover creation), being offered a new contract, having the perfect story idea just as I'm finishing another book and my book arriving on my doorstep pre-release, shiny and crisp. There are lots of other happy writing and writer moments, but those come to mind first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Loved the territorial over your table at the coffee house. I could see me doing that if the coffee house wasn't so far away.

    What makes me happy? When my characters take on a life of their own and things start to happen that aren't anywhere in my outline. It's fun. It's magic. And I'm just along for the ride. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the magic, too, Jen! I wait for the moment when it's not me writing a story, but it becomes the characters' story. It's much easier after that shift.

      Delete
  3. Things that make Writer me happy: those days (minutes? seconds?) when writing feels effortless; losing myself in a great book; on those days when writing isn't effortless, realizing that my book's problems can be solved with minor adjustments; typing "The End"; and, of course, selling a manuscript. Great topic, Ami!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Natalie! I completely agree with your list. Especially the selling a manuscript. :) That's the biggest happy of all.

      Delete
  4. Great post, Ami.
    Typing "The End," getting a new story idea, emails and messages from fans...these are a few of my favorite things. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first time I got a fan message, I cried. My husband was confused and said he thought that was a good thing. I explained, "Someone who doesn't know me loves the book!" That was one of my fave writer moments ever. :)

      Delete
  5. Another notebook and pen hoarder!! Yay!!! And I always cry over strangers telling me they loved my book too. I was never prepared for it and it still gets me every time. :-)

    ReplyDelete